Sunday, February 15, 2009

Roughing It


I finally took my spotting scope to National Camera yesterday and got the bad news. No digiscoping. The eyepiece aperture is too small, and there isn't a workable replacement for the entry level scope I have. The vignetting evidenced in the adjacent photo is, evidently, unavoidable. Add to that the lack of corrective lenses built into the apparatus to counteract my bad vision, and I fear I will never be the nature photographer I'd like to be. So I can get photos like this only if the varmints will cooperate.

Cooperative birds will turn up to entertain you even outside an Aikido studio on the second floor of an 1800's building in St. Paul. I saw this feeder hung from a tree this morning, and wondered how the Aikido students inside could focus with lbb's flitting around outside the window. There is no cord attached to the feeder from the window - I am guessing that there is a helpful broom handle that is the right size to capture the feeder and draw it in for filling.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kathy,

I love the photos of the birds. I lets me know that spring is really on its way.

RuthieJ said...

I like the in-flight picture of your pine siskin. I think you're doing great with what you've got!