Friday, May 29, 2009

Lesson

A friend who is learning to knit asked me to show her a few things the other day. This friend is adventuresome, capable, adaptable and bright. Even being asked to give her directions to the yarn shop would have made my day, so this was a real compliment.

We met at Borealis Yarns, and took advantage of the spacious table and the good company of other knitters. We talked through techniques for knitting in the round on double point needles.

I showed her a few things, and then when she asked how to hold her work, told her "There is no wrong way to knit. Any one who tells you that is wrong." I thought a minute more, and continued "The only time you are knitting wrong is when you are not having fun. Knitting is fun, and if you aren't having fun, then you are doing something wrong." I showed her several ways to hold her knitting, position her hands, and told her that her hands would find the way most comfortable for her to knit, not to try to mimic someone else's positioning, but to do what is most comfortable and efficient for her.

About this time I realized that the other women at the table were listening. Some were smiling and some were not. Maybe there are several schools of thought on this?

3 comments:

twinsetellen said...

I am smiling - at the message and the image.

RuthieJ said...

Hi Kathy,
I'm with you -- there is no wrong way to knit, just different ways. I'm glad your friend is wanting to learn some new techniques and called upon you for assistance. It sounds like you are an excellent teacher!

MarkN said...

As it should be with most pastimes, they should be done for love and the happiness it brings.